background

Friday, August 28, 2009

1 Year Ago Today...


I remember like it was just yesterday...Ben came home from taking Kennedy to the doctor for what we thought was a urinary tract infection. Instead, he uttered the words that would change our lives, and Kennedy's life, forever, "Kennedy has Type 1 Diabetes." At the time I was clueless as to what this really meant, how it would affect her life now, and how it may affect her in the future. I was clueless of how many finger pricks, site changes, low blood sugars, high blood sugars, mood changes, crying, questions, and Dr. visits we would encounter with this disease.

I remember lying in the hospital bed with Kennedy as she slept and crying with Ben, swearing that I couldn't do this. I couldn't handle the pricking and poking, the constant carb counting and food monitoring. I couldn't handle the horror stories that people would tell us about the long-term effects of this disease. It seemed unreal and too much to comprehend.

But...somehow, a year later, I look back at what Kennedy has endured and I am filled with an overwhelming sense of pride. Kennedy has shown such wisdom and grace beyond her 3 years of age. While this disease is not anything I would wish on my worst enemy and I wish everyday, every minute, that I could take this disease on myself and away from my daughter; I know that she is a stronger and braver person because of it. Kennedy is a remarkable little girl, and I thank God for her everyday, and while I cringe at all we have to do to her poor little body, I am grateful that she is alive and healthy.

I remember as we were leaving the hospital that final day and a nurse said to us..."not everyone can handle this disease. God knows that she can endure this and he will be with her. He knows how strong she is." I think of her words often and they have helped me through many difficult times and I believe they will continue to do so. One day, when she can understand, I will share these words with her, so they can help her cope during the difficult times too.

What a long way we have come...one year later...less crying, more understanding, and a persistence and determination that we all can do this. And one day...we will all celebrate a cure!

3 comments:

Adam, Allison, Kaitlyn and Lauren said...

Kennedy is such a brave little girl!

Wendy said...

Each passing year is another milestone...you guys are doing a great job :)

God bless this journey...always...

Nicole said...

I am amazed how you and Ben have helped Kennedy understand and embrace this. You both are inspiring.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

The Herrigs

The Herrigs